What do you think of when you hear the word "layering"? Two things come to mind, for me. First, warmth in winter weather. Creating layers of clothing traps in the warm air generated around your body and helps to keep you toasty warm in the snow. It also gives you the option of removing layers in small steps, as you need to. Especially if you are engaging in winter sports, you will warm up as you work out and it's helpful to be able to take off a little at a time.
The second thing that comes to my mind when I hear the word "layering" is fashion layering. If it's done correctly, layering can give you a smart fashion look and hide figure flaws at the same time. But, a word of caution, if it's not done correctly, you might end up looking like the Michelin brand guy! Do you remember the little boy in the movie, A Christmas Story? His mom, layered him up so much that when he fell down, he couldn't get up again!
Here's five tips for warmth layering and five tips for fashion layering!
1. The layer closest to your skin is called a "base layer". For maximum comfort, your base layer should be a fabric with moisture wicking properties and comfortable stretch. It'll give you temperature-management, for warmth on cold days but not be too hot on warmer days. Brands like Cuddl Duds have revolutionary fabric that wicks away moisture and keeps you comfortable.
2. The second (or more) layer should be an "insulating layer". The insulating layer keeps the cold out and the warmth in. Wool or fleece are good options. You can have more than one insulating layer, but don't bulk up, as to restrict movement.
3. The outside layer is the "protective layer". The protective layer protects you from wind, rain, or blowing snow. Brrrrr. Look for wind-proof, water-resistant fabrics when you shop for an outside layer.
4. Effective layering lets you stay outdoors longer. Remember to watch for signs of frostbite in any unprotected areas and don't forget accessories like gloves, hats and chapstick!
5. Forget the label! When you're layering for warmth, you may have to buy the outer layer garments in a larger size to accommodate the layers underneath. Don't shop for your usual size, as much as what feels comfortable and allows for easy movement.
6. You're body will look thinner and better if it is in proportion. You can use fashion layers to create an illusion of proportion, even where it doesn't exist! Look at your silhouette in the mirror and determine if your shoulders are in proportion to your hips, if your calves are in proportion to your legs, if your arms are in proportion to your torso.
7. If you are pear-shaped, like most women, you want to add layers to your top half. Great layering pieces are camisoles, tanks, turtlenecks, and jackets. The thinner fabrics should be on the inside and the thicker fabrics on the outside. So put that adorable silk tank on the inside and the wool is best for a jacket on the outside. Add a scarf - it's a great layering piece! Same thing with colors - darker colors recede, so for a slimmer look, put the darker colors on the inside layers and the brighter colors on the outside.
8. If your shoulders are large in comparison to your hips, you want to add layers to your bottom half. It's such a great look to pair a short skirt with colorful leggings and chunky boots. Keep a slimmer, less-layered look on the top, maybe a thin weight tank and top.
9. If your calves and legs are thin, you want to layer your legs, with leggings and boots. If you're legs are heavy than do the opposite, keep the layers at a minimum. A dark, thin-weight tight is perfect for making legs look thinner.
10. Vertical versus horizontal. Remember patterns as you layer. Vertical patterns will make you look taller and thinner. So an open jacket with it's vertical lines will be create an illusion of tall and thin. A pullover sweater with horizontal stripes will make you look broader and more solid.
I hope these are some helpful warmth and fashion layering tips! Don't forget to have fun with fashion AND stay warm! By layering your clothes you can correct figure flaws and be cozy and comfy!
About Cuddl Duds:
Cuddl Duds designs and manufactures high quality intimate apparel. As the leading warm underwear maker in America, Cuddl Duds has become synonymous with comfort and “feeling good.” Cuddl Duds is a wholly owned subsidiary of Komar.
Komar, the 102-year-old privately held apparel, consumer products and distribution services company, designs, markets and manufactures women's and children’s sleepwear, loungewear and lingerie. Komar is a progressive company with a global sourcing network that includes factories in fourteen countries andstate-of-the-art distribution facilities. Founded by Charles Komar in 1908, who stated “you only have one reputation,” the third-generation Komars adhere to this guiding principle while running the company today
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Cuddl Duds blogging program, making me eligible to get a $40 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here http://cuddlduds.twittermoms.com/about