Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Remembering Easter with Coca-Cola and Vintage Ham Recipe


 Do you have special memories that you associate with Coke?  I always think of the polar bears that Coke used in their advertising for years.  Remember those?  They were so funny - and cute - and cool!



Another one of my special memories is associated with a Coca-Cola product that has been discontinued called, Tab.  Do you remember Tab?  I'm dating myself here, but I was in high school when Tab was popular and we would drink it for lunch.  Just seeing the logo takes me back to my old high school cafeteria, sitting at lunch with my friends, drinking tab.  I went to an all-girls high school and we had to wear hideous uniforms.  Make-up was discouraged and hair styles were pretty low maintenance/non-existent.  Still, there were good memories of the friendships formed by the adversity - we all had a common enemy in the nuns.  Later in life, I became good friends with a nun, and she is truly one of the best people I have ever known.  I'm still convinced that she is an oddity in her ranks, however, and probably the only nice one *only kidding* *sort of*.  Enough of my scars *wink*, I do have a talent for over-dramatization.

Have you ever cooked with a Coca-Cola product?  I tried this recipe, just to see if it was an urban legend.  After extensive testing (oops, over dramatizing again!), I conclude that the carbonation and ingredients in Coke, really do improve the taste of ham.  Would you like to try for yourself?  Easter, the "ham holiday" is coming up!  Perfect timing to experiment with lots of company coming over and your Martha-perfection, er reputation on the line.  Hehehe.  I promise this one won't be a disaster.  Really, I promise!

Coca-Cola Ham

Ingredients

1 On-the-bone Fully Cooked Butt-Portion Ham
1 can of Coca-Cola
1 cup of brown sugar
1 can of Pineapple Rings
1 jar of Maraschino Cherries

Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil.  Slice the ham into pieces about three inches by three inches (approximately) and layer them in the pan.  Sprinkle the brown sugar, lay pineapple rings on top.  Put one cherry inside each pineapple ring.  Pour Coca-Cola over the top.  Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake at 450 degrees for three hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and seven-layer salad for an Easter feast!

By doing things with an unusual twist, ie adding Coke to a recipe, you create a special memory that your family will remember for years (hopefully with a smile).  This is how traditions are made!

About Coca-Cola®
Created in Atlanta, Georgia, by Dr. John S. Pemberton, Coca-Cola was first offered as a fountain beverage by mixing Coca-Cola syrup with carbonated water. Coca-Cola was introduced in 1886, patented in 1887, registered as a trademark in 1893 and by 1895 it was being sold in every state and territory in the United States. In 1899, The Coca-Cola Company began franchised bottling operations in the United States.

More info: www.cookingwithcoke.com

Join Coca-Cola® on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cocacola

Join Coca-Cola® on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cocacola

Disclosure:  I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here." http://familyclassics.socialmoms.com/about

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments!